Matthew D. Nelson
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
To: Matthew D. Nelson
Matt Nelson is an experienced criminal trial attorney who defends persons charged with traffic infractions and traffic related crimes. Mr. Nelson has over a decade of courtroom experience. Mr. Nelson is a former Assistant Commonwealthâ€™s Attorney, Assistant Attorney General, and Special Assistant United States Attorney. As a criminal trial attorney, he has tried and defended thousands of traffic cases. Mr. Nelson teaches traffic law to other lawyers in the fulfillment of their mandatory continuing legal education requirements. Mr. Nelson also serves as special co-counsel to the Courts of Justice Committee for the Virginia House of Delegates. As special co-counsel, the members of the committee rely on Mr. Nelsonâ€™s legal advice when crafting new traffic and criminal laws. Mr. Nelson has years of experience defending individuals charged with drunk driving. The Journal of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association recently published Mr. Nelsonâ€™s article regarding a specialized method for defending individuals charged with drunk driving. Mr. Nelson knows the importance of defending a person based on the facts and circumstances of each case. He also understands the importance of knowing the individual needs of each client. Mr. Nelson strives to obtain the best possible result for each of his clients.
Mr. Nelson defends persons charged with traffic infractions, including speeding, failure to obey traffic light, and failure to yield, and serious traffic crimes, including drunk driving, reckless driving, hit and run, and eluding a police officer.
Areas of Practice:
- Traffic and Drunk Driving Law
- Virginia, 1998
- Virginia Supreme Court, 1998
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 1999
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1998
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington, May, 1997 Juris Doctor
- East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN, USA, May, 1994 B.S.
- Honors: President, Lamda Chi Alpha Fraternity
- Honors: Member, Order of Omega, National Greek Honors Society
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Economics
Past Employment Positions:
- Office of the Attorney General, Richmond, VA, Assistant Attorney General/Prosecutor, 2005 - 2007
- Office of the Alleghany County Commonwealth's Attorney, Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney, 2001 - 2005
- Office of Attorney General, Richmond, VA, Assistant Attorney General, 1999 - 2001
- Law Firm of Collins & Workowski, Covington, VA, Criminal Defense Attorney, 1998 - 1999