Hanover VA Traffic and DUI Lawyers
The traffic lawyers at Chucker & Reibach are committed to defending people charged with violating Virginia‚Äôs various traffic laws in Hanover County in VA.¬† Our lawyers have been representing clients charged with DUI, reckless driving, and speeding for the past fifteen years.¬† And our lawyers have very good, professional relationships with the Hanover County Commonwealth‚Äôs Attorney‚Äôs Office (prosecutor‚Äôs office), police officers, deputies, and state troopers.
Choosing a traffic ticket lawyer who has a great deal of knowledge about the jurisdiction is vitally important to achieving the best possible result in your traffic case.¬† This is particularly true in a unique jurisdiction like Hanover County, Virginia, with two heavily traveled interstates (I-295 and I-95) and several high-volume highway, like, Highway 301.
In Hanover County, our attorneys defend clients charged with:
- Reckless Driving – Accident:¬† Often those people who have a single-vehicle or multiple-vehicle accident are charged with reckless driving.¬† Like reckless driving by speed, a charge of reckless driving resulting from an accident is a crime. ¬†Our attorneys are extremely knowledgeable of legal defenses for reckless driving.¬† We are very successful at getting reckless driving charges dismissed or reduced to traffic infractions that do not carry the serious consequences of a reckless driving conviction.
- Driving under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs:¬† Under Virginia Law, a DUI carries serious consequences.¬† A first-offense DUI carries a high fine, a potential jail sentence, a 1-year driver‚Äôs license suspension, and the successful completion of an alcohol education program called the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP).¬† A first-offense DUI with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .15 but less than .21 carries a mandatory minimum of 5 days in jail and an ignition interlock for at least 6 months, in addition to the penalties already described above.¬† Likewise, if your BAC is greater than .21, there is a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 10 days and an ignition interlock requirement.¬† Individuals charged with a second DUI that has occurred within ten years of the previous DUI will incur a higher mandatory minimum jail sentence, and a third DUI is a felony in Virginia.¬† Given our law firm‚Äôs commitment to primarily focusing our practice in the areas of DUI and traffic offenses, we may be able to find a legal problem with the case that results in a not guilty verdict (dismissal) or reach a resolution that results in a reduced charge; saving you from some of the punishments and requirements of a DUI conviction.
- Reckless Driving by Speed:¬† Under Virginia Law, a person driving twenty miles per hour or more than the posted speed limit, or over 80mph, can be charged and convicted of reckless driving by speed.¬† It is important to realize it is not necessary for the Officer to prove you were driving in a reckless manner (i.e., weaving in and out of traffic).¬† Speed and speed alone, is sufficient to be found guilty.¬† Reckless driving by speed also carries significant consequences.¬† First, reckless driving by speed is a crime and not a basic speeding ticket. ¬†Which means, if you are convicted of reckless driving by speed as a result of traveling 81mph in a 70mph zone, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.¬† In addition, depending on the speed, reckless driving by speed may carry a hefty fine, a jail sentence, and suspension of your driver‚Äôs license or privilege to drive.¬† Finally, it carries the highest number of negative demerit points that can be assessed by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles.¬† Our reckless driving attorneys handle numerous cases reckless driving cases in Hanover County. ¬†Our attorneys have years of experience finding ways to get this type of charge dismissed or reduced from a crime to a minor traffic offense. ¬†Our attorneys have a high rate of success in Hanover County.
- Speeding:¬† Our law firm is also able to provide you with quality and result-oriented legal representation on Hanover County speeding ticket cases.¬† Although speeding tickets are not as serious as reckless driving charges, they can still cause significant problems to your driving record and auto insurance rates.¬† Our speeding ticket attorneys can often get speeding charges dismissed in Hanover County.
- Possession of Marijuana: The penalties for this offense are high. Our marijuana lawyers have practiced criminal defense law for over two decades and have helped many Virginians accused of marijuana-related offenses.
Call 804-355-8037 to speak to one of our experienced attorneys.
Experienced Traffic Attorneys in Hanover County
Selecting the right Hanover County traffic attorney is important. ¬†Knowing the tendencies and policies of the Hanover County judges (General District and Circuit Court), police officers, deputies, and state troopers is very important.¬† Hanover County has one General District Court Judge who hears DUI, reckless driving, speeding, and other traffic and misdemeanor criminal cases.¬† Traffic and criminal cases are heard in Hanover County General District Court Tuesdays through Fridays.¬† Thursdays are reserved for all traffic and criminal cases involving state troopers.¬† In addition, unlike many other jurisdictions, the prosecutor‚Äôs office in Hanover County does not participate in traffic cases such as reckless driving, speeding, failure to obey traffic signs, and driving on a suspended or revoked license in General District Court.
Sometimes the General District Court‚Äôs decision in a DUI, reckless driving, speeding, and other traffic offenses needs to be appealed.¬† Under Virginia laws, a person convicted of a traffic offense or a misdemeanor criminal offense in General District Court has ten days from the date the judge enters the conviction to note an appeal.¬† Once the appeal is noted, the case is then set on a new date in the Hanover County Circuit Court with a different judge.¬† Unlike in General District Court, the prosecutor‚Äôs office in Hanover County does participate in traffic and misdemeanor criminal cases appealed to Circuit Court.¬† This is significant because it provides the attorneys at Chucker & Reibach an opportunity to negotiate a more favorable result.
The attorneys at Chucker & Reibach work tirelessly to use their legal knowledge to achieve the best possible result for our clients in Hanover, VA.¬† Call 804-355-8037 to speak to one of our attorneys today.